April 10, 2018 - He's back!!!
Charlie Appelstein, MSW
Understanding and Responding to At-Risk Kids and their Family Members Using Positive, Trauma-Informed, Strength-Based Principles and Techniques
This full-day conference is a follow-up to the training Charlie presented in 2014. Charlie will begin by reviewing the key concepts of using a positive, trauma-informed, strength-based approach with at-risk kids and their families.
A host of new topics will be presented, including: Encouraging growth vs. fixed mindsets with at-risk kids; core-strength-based verbal interventions; what child and youth care professionals should know about developmental psychology, creative strategies for helping kids to better self-manage; and relationship-based limit setting.
OBJECTIVES: Participants will be able to:
· Describe the major principles of a positive, trauma-informed, strength-based approach to guiding at-risk children, youth and families
· Discuss the importance of using strategies that alter negative mindsets in children and youth
· Cite specific strength-based verbal interventions to better engage and guide at-risk kids
· Describe at least two specific cognitive-behavioral techniques that can help at-risk children, youth, and their parents to better self-manage their actions.
· Discuss how unmet developmental needs can impact functioning later in life and specific strategies for helping kids arrested at an earlier stage of life.
REGISTRATION: Standard Fee $135.00
Full Time Students $60.00 (Copy of student ID required)
Foster/Kinship Parent $60.00 (Agency Affiliation required)
If paying by check, please mail to:
Project Child, 3400 High Point Blvd. Bethlehem PA 18017
CEC's available: PA State Boar of Social Work Examiners, NBCC, Act 48
7:45 AM Registration
8:30am - 4:00 PM (Distribution of Certificates)
Lunch and snacks provided
111 Research Drive,
Lehigh University Mountaintop Campus
Thank you to our Conference Sponsors:
Northampton County Children, Youth & Families
Hospital Central Services, Inc.
The Fred J. Jaindl Family Foundation
King Spry Herman Freund & Faul